Drama Lessons for High School from an Award Winning Drama Teacher
You may not know me or be familiar with my work. I’m Deborah Baldwin (but my friends call me Deb.) I am a recently retired award winning drama teacher for thirty-eight years. In that time, I directed over 250 plays and musicals with students and adults as well. I taught every grade level, but the bulk of my time was spent with secondary students. I’m also an award winning director and middle grade author.
Here is my resume if you’d like to see it: DeborahBaldwin.net
My Teaching Style:
Drama is a hands-on class. To this end I’m always on my feet modeling for my students while teaching them a host of concepts. It is not unusual to hear my classroom in chortles of laughter because humor is an outstanding way to gain a student’s attention. I empower students at an early age.
Although I am always mindful of my learning objectives, I think it’s vital for students to experiment within the confines of my instruction. I encourage students to be independent and creative thinkers.
Many less confident or reluctant students benefit from my teaching methods as together we hit the challenges they encounter. I am creative, intense, driven and brave–these are qualities I nurture in all my students and generally receive outstanding results in them.
If you are looking for drama units, lessons and plays for your students, I can help you. Here are a few of my lessons for high school students:
Radio Play Performance
(Here is a production of this script by an ESL class in Tiblisi Georgia!) “The Invisible Man” Radio Play
- Radio Theater Unit Plus Radio Play of “The Invisible Man”
- The Producer
- Rent, the Broadway Musical
- Theater Artists You Should Know Growth Mindset
- Bundle: Biographies of Theater Artists–Lin Manuel Miranda, Audra McDonald, Hugh Jackman, Meryl Streep, Cynthia Erivo, Denzel Washington and Ming Cho Lee
- Bundle: Stage Makeup -Zombie, Fantasy, Basic-Old Age, Circus
- Bundle: Costume, Stage Props., Set and Sound Design (sold separately as well)
- Bundle: Tony Awards & Broadway Musicals
- Hamilton, the Broadway Musical
- NEW! Daveed Diggs Theater Artist Biography
- NEW! Camille A. Brown Theater Artist Biography
- NEW! Billy Elliot, the Broadway Musical
- NEW! Something Rotten Broadway Musical
- NEW! Choice Board–Theater Around the World
Most lessons lasts at least two days. The units’ length range from several days to three weeks.
I have lessons for younger students, too! Check them out:
If you’d like a FREE lesson, be my guest and pick up one:
Contact me at email@example.com or DeborahBaldwin.net